Wednesday, January 12, 2011

DESTINATION: GULU!





Sister Rosemary and Walter picked me up from Cornerstone on Saturday to make a trip north to Gulu. Along the route there are no places to stop for a real meal, but there are plenty of stands along the road selling vegetables and fruit so thatís what we ate. We stopped at two locations which Sister Rosemary favors and frequently buys from; at one we bought pineapples and bananas and the other corn. The bananas in Uganda are truly the most delicious I have ever tasted (including in South Africa). Every meal here at St. Monicaís is concluded with a dessert of some fruit. The pineapple is my favorite.

We were traveling in Sister Rosemary's very trusty truck that she said has never had any problems...until our trip. The engine became overheated.... at the perfect time! I would even say it was a blessing. We are just approaching the Nile River ( So Walter found a clearing to pull over by that allowed us to see the rapids of the mighty river perfectly. Now, pictures of the Nile are forbidden and there are even guards on the bridge prepared to confiscate cameras of violators. One of these guards, in his military uniform and gun over this shoulder, walked up to our car in a rather defensive manner. But Sister Rosemary befriended him immediately as she does with everyone she meets. She greeted him first and began speaking in his native language, which she could identify my simply looking at him. She offered him a banana and told him it was my first time in Uganda. Not only did he welcome me and grant me permission to take photos of the Nile, but he told me that I should get out of the car and cross the road to get even better pictures! To make this experience even more special, as we were overlooking the Nile while waiting for the engine to cool, Sister Rosemary began telling me breathtaking and captivating stories of her experiences during the wars. It was a divine night to say the least.

We arrived in Gulu late in the evening after it had already become dark, so I was not able to see much of the town as we drove in. When we arrived, the sisters had dinner prepared and had even waited to eat with us. It was another warm, relaxed welcome. It feels very good to be "home."

No comments:

Post a Comment