Monday, January 17, 2011

WHY?? HOW??

So in my excitement to start telling about my experiences here in Uganda, I skipped over why and how I even came to be here. Let me rewind....

I fell in love with traveling and specifically to Africa last year when I studied abroad and conducted HIV research in South Africa during the spring semester. My time in South Africa was life-changing and eye-opening. It was my first time to be on my own for an extended period of time and my first time to really travel internationally. Those five months gave me a world vision and created a very positive bias towards Africa in general. Being outside of my norms and typical roles allowed me to gain a new perspective of what I wanted to do with my life and the multitude of options that are possible. From my experience with the HIV + pregnant women that I worked with, I realized that God has enabled me with certain qualities that are meant for caring for women both in the US and internationally. The moment I was on the plane headed back to the US in June I began praying that God would provide me with a way to get back to Africa. I knew I had a rare opportunity of flexibility with the transition between undergrad and medical school coming up to do something that I’d never have the chance to do later and became even more eager to travel again.

Through God’s grace and wonderful connections that I’d already developed during college, I got in contact with PROS FOR AFRICA. Immediately, I knew this was an organization that paralleled my goal of sharing Oklahoma love with the less fortunate women in Africa. Thus I developed a commitment to assist PFA in any way that I could. Soon, I was invited to attend the luncheon that was held at the governor’s mansion honoring Sister Rosemary Nyirumbe. I can honestly say that that event was a defining moment of my life. That day I officially decided to go to St. Monica Girls’ Tailoring Center in Gulu, Uganda, to spend time learning from and assisting Sr. Rosemary and the young women she provides a refuge and fresh start for. After the lunch, I waited around and introduced myself to Sister and our brief conversation filled with her natural joy and humanitarian heart sealed the deal. I told her I hoped to come stay with her for a few months in the next year. I didn’t know how or when, but I was going to try to get there. What could I do for her and the girls? She told me they needed any basic health education. And that was it.

I emailed Jay Mitchel, executive director of PFA who had invited me to the luncheon, and told him my revelation. I told him I wanted to offer my services and time to PFA at St. Monica’s in Uganda for a few months. The next week I met with Reggie and Jay to discuss my intentions and plans for graduation, and we knew it was a match. Thank God! And Reggie Whitten and Jay!

So within 6 months of praying on the plane headed back to the US that God would send me back, I was on a flight headed for Entebbe, Uganda, for four months! Only through God’s hand and people with hearts for changing the world and confidence that we can all contribute to that effort could all of these pieces fall into place so beautifully.

Now, I am here and my life has already been touched in ways that I didn’t expect. One of my personal goals for this trip is to develop an accurate understanding of the society, the medical conditions most prevalent, and the local resources available so that I am best equipped to treat the women of Uganda effectively and efficiently once I have my medical degree. I feel sure that I will be gaining and learning more than I could ever possibly give back on this trip, but I will most definitely be back in Uganda throughout my life caring for the women and returning the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment